Careers Guidance at Abbey Grange connects learning to the future. Our aim is to motivate students by giving them a clearer idea of the routes to jobs and careers that they will find engaging and rewarding. We believe our careers guidance widens our students’ horizons, challenges stereotypes and raises aspirations. It provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary to make successful transitions to the next stage of their life.We support social mobility by improving opportunities for all students.
Our Careers Adviser Glyn Ellis is in Abbey Grange two days a week and uses this time to carry out individual careers interviews (parents are also invited), group work sessions and assemblies. Glyn also takes part in every PSHCE drop down day and attends KS4 and 5 Parent consultation evenings.
At Abbey Grange our careers programme includes careers lessons in PSHCE drop down days, workshops, visiting speakers, visits to employers, work experience to name but a few activities.
We use the Eight Gatsby Benchmarks to offer a wide range of activities for all year groups.
Please see the Gatsby Benchmark Development Plan, available by clicking on the More Resources link on the right hand side of the screen.
By the time students leave the Sixth Form they will have:
• Gained first-hand experience of the world of work by undertaking a week of work experience, in a working environment that is related to A level courses being undertaken. Students will be responsible for arranging the placement. This will help them learn about employability skills and the job market
• Have an additional one-to-one interview to discuss post 18 options if needed
• Attended sessions on higher education, gap years, student finance in PSHCE drop down days
• Visited Universities
• Had the opportunity to attend careers talks during the school year from visiting speakers on a variety of topics including apprenticeships, Higher and Degree Level Apprenticeships – when and how to apply
• Updated their CV with their new qualifications and skills
• Had additional optional access to impartial information, advice and guidance from the school Shine professional careers adviser to help them make decisions about post 18 options
• Been guided through the UCAS application process and made an application through UCAS, if they intend to go to university
• Had the opportunity to have a mock interview for employment or university admission
• In the event they decide to change their academic or career ideas, attended an Interview with the Shine careers professional to discuss all their options for further study, apprenticeships or employment.
There are no further resources for this subject.
Tel: 0113 275 7877
Fax: 0113 275 4784
Abbey Multi Academy Trust
c/o Chapter House
Abbey Grange Church of England Academy
Registered Company Number: 07705552